Salsa dancing is an amazing way to get cardio, meet people, and have fun! What do you think of salsa dancing?
I first learned Cuban salsa in Cebu in 2014 with Cebu Salsa Club. Back then, the salsa scene in Cebu was still nascent, almost non-existent.
Salsa nights, or salsa socials, often play a whole range of Afro-cuban music: salsa, bachata, kizomba, zouk and merengue.
There is a salsa scene in almost every major city in the world, and some of the cities I have danced in are: Philly, NY, Barcelona, Paris, Barcelona, Manila, Cebu, Singapore, Taiwan and Bali!
Fundamentals of Salsa Dancing
The most fundamental part of salsa is the “clave”. ‘Clave’ is a Spanish word that means ‘code’ or ‘key’. Clave is a rhythmic pattern that plays on 3-2 or 2-3 beat. It is the ‘law’ of salsa, and of many Afro-Cuban music. Clave is more a feeling, and less the instrument. In salsa, people should be ‘clave conscious’
Timing. There are actually two types of timing in salsa dancing: on 1 and on 2.
- Places that are majority on 1: Cuba, Europe, Los Angeles, Philippines
- Places that are majority on 2: New York, Singapore, Australia, Japan
Several Great Reasons Why You Should Go Salsa Dancing:
- It’s an easy hobby to take! You don’t need a lot of equipment, just need your dancing shoes.
- You can do it anywhere when you travel, again, just pack your dancing shoes in your luggage!
- It is never a sausage fest (at least in the Philippines) Read: Salsa Socials in the Philippines
- Men, hear this: this is one of the few rare occasions that the woman will actually listen to you.
- Also, to women: never apologize. It is always the man’s fault.
How to Get Better at Salsa Dancing
- Watch yourself, take a video, and be critical in evaluating yourself.
- Watch others dance and salsa videos.
- Master the clave.
- Dance with different leads, especially if they are new. Don’t be too comfortable and settle on dancing with one or a few guys only.
What do you think of writing a book? – What do you think of…?
- 12 – What do you think of storytelling?
- 11 – History of the world (by a six-year-old)
- 10 – What do you think of harems
- 9 – Marco Polo and the Mongol Empire
- 8 – What do you think of salsa dancing?
- 7 – What do you think of Elizabeth Holmes?
- 6 – How COVID-19 will affect Future Business Trends
- 5 – What do you think of philanthropy and altruism?
- 4 – What do you think of a billion?
- 3 – Lessons I Learned in Business School
- 2 – Lessons I Learned in Law School
- 1 – What do you think of this intro?