Even after three years of professional practice, our resident lawyer Kenneth still values the many memorable lessons I learned in law school that can be applied in law practice and in real life.
Lessons I Learned in Law School
Spotting and isolating the issues
The ability to spot main issues and distill all the information from 300 to 500 pages of readings into core takeaways. If you want to win arguments, identify and isolate your issues. The ability to spot main issues and distill all the information from 300 to 500 pages of readings into core takeaways is integral in staying rational and level-headed in arguments..
Most non-law grads don’t think this way. In fact, even in personal relationships, people tend to put together several separate issues in one argument. Laying out issues will also solve the problem quicker.
The art of asking the right questions
Being a lawyer is really less about arguing and more about asking questions. The core of asking questions is not just limited to trial work or the Supreme Court, but ultimately in life.
The core learning we learn is the rule of law, and the foundation of jurisprudence: due process.
e.g., such as in criminal law, Despite already having been persecuted by the public, every alleged criminal has the right to have due process and is innocent until proven guilty. The criminal defense lawyer is highly valuable, and he is the only person standing between an innocent person and jail. Due process ensures truth and justice comes out at the end.
The Philippine Constitution
The state policies and most importantly, the values of the nation are there. Reading the Philippine Constitution makes you an informed citizen, and provides a sharp lens to understanding current events. Non-lawyers should also read the constitution to get a better grasp of current events, politics, and policy discussions.
These are just some of the key takeaways I learned while in law school. Read Rachel’s take on her business experience on lessons I learned in business school for Rachel’s takeaway in MBA. If you are or were a law student, what are some of the lessons you learned in law school?
Listen to the WDYTO Podcast for the Lessons I learned in Law School Episode or go to Show Notes
More Law Blog Posts
- Reopening Business: Guide to Labor, Taxes, Rent, Operations for the New NormalGuide to Reopening Business After Lockdown. How to Handle Rent, Bills, Taxes, Labor, and more
- Lessons I Learned in Law SchoolSome of the important lessons I learned in law school.
- Our Favorite White Collar CriminalsNotorious and exceptional people who duped people and businesses. Here are some of our favorite white collar criminals.
Latest Blog Posts
- CEBECO – Digital Payments for Cebuanos via BPIHow much do you have? What’s your net worth and cash flow? Doing your financial checkup is the starting point in financial planning.
- Article Feature by The Good Men ProjectThe Syndicated Article entitled The Economics of Modern Dating at Medium. Featured in Hello, Love by The Good Men Project.
- Webinar: Investing and Earning During a CrisisJoin us on our live webinar on “Reopening Business in the New Normal” tomorrow, Thursday 6PM on Facebook Live
- Webinar: Reopening Your Business in the New NormalJoin us on our live webinar on “Reopening Business in the New Normal” tomorrow, Thursday 6PM on Facebook Live
- 8 Skills that Monetize8 skills that monetize. Learn these to make more money. From sales, to design, to storytelling, these skills are relevant and invaluable in today’s age.
- The Highest ROI Women Can Invest onWhat investment brings the highest ROI for women? Let’s look at a modern day parable from Reddit.
- Featured Published Story at Paperkat BooksI recently published a story at PaperKat Books for Coronavirus Chronicles.
- Remote Work Toolbox: How to Shift to Remote WorkRemote Work Toolbox This is a how-to guide for employees, employers and management to shift to remote work: policies, tools and etiquette,
- How to (quickly) Move Up the Career LadderMoving up the proverbial career ladder can be trying for most. Here are some tips on how you can move quickly up the career ladder.
- The Company Cebu Coworking Space Guest Blog PostGuest blog post for The Company Cebu Coworking Space. The Company is a co-working community and office solutions.