Even after three years of professional practice, our resident lawyer Kenneth still values the many memorable lessons I learned in law school that can be applied in law practice and in real life.
Lessons I Learned in Law School
Spotting and isolating the issues
The ability to spot main issues and distill all the information from 300 to 500 pages of readings into core takeaways. If you want to win arguments, identify and isolate your issues. The ability to spot main issues and distill all the information from 300 to 500 pages of readings into core takeaways is integral in staying rational and level-headed in arguments..
Most non-law grads don’t think this way. In fact, even in personal relationships, people tend to put together several separate issues in one argument. Laying out issues will also solve the problem quicker.
The art of asking the right questions
Being a lawyer is really less about arguing and more about asking questions. The core of asking questions is not just limited to trial work or the Supreme Court, but ultimately in life.
The core learning we learn is the rule of law, and the foundation of jurisprudence: due process.
e.g., such as in criminal law, Despite already having been persecuted by the public, every alleged criminal has the right to have due process and is innocent until proven guilty. The criminal defense lawyer is highly valuable, and he is the only person standing between an innocent person and jail. Due process ensures truth and justice comes out at the end.
The Philippine Constitution
The state policies and most importantly, the values of the nation are there. Reading the Philippine Constitution makes you an informed citizen, and provides a sharp lens to understanding current events. Non-lawyers should also read the constitution to get a better grasp of current events, politics, and policy discussions.
These are just some of the key takeaways I learned while in law school. Read Rachel’s take on her business experience on lessons I learned in business school for Rachel’s takeaway in MBA. If you are or were a law student, what are some of the lessons you learned in law school?
Listen to the WDYTO Podcast for the Lessons I learned in Law School Episode or go to Show Notes
More Law Blog Posts
- Expat Guide to the Philippines: Living and Doing BusinessExpat Guide to the Philippines: How to Live in the Philippines For Work, For Business, For Retirement and for Investment
- Social Enterprises and B Corps in the Philippine ContextUnderstanding Social Enterprises and B Corps in the Philippine Context
- Reopening Business: Guide to Labor, Taxes, Rent, Operations for the New NormalGuide to Reopening Business After Lockdown. How to Handle Rent, Bills, Taxes, Labor, and more
- Lessons I Learned in Law SchoolSome of the important lessons I learned in law school.
- Our Favorite White Collar CriminalsNotorious and exceptional people who duped people and businesses. Here are some of our favorite white collar criminals.
Latest Blog Posts
- IMG Members Get Access to COVID-19 Vaccine COVOVAXDo you know that as a member of IMG, one of your membership privileges is to access to two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine COVOVAX.
- Long Term Care – How it Works and Why it’s ImportantOne of the financial products that I own and I’m proud to share with you is my Long-Term Care plan from Kaiser International. – Guest Blog Post by Bill Asignar
- How to Waive Philippines Credit Card Annual FeesSavvy tips on How to Avoid Paying Gcash-to-Bank Convenience Fees. Here are some hacks you can do to bypass or circumvent these fees.
- The King of Pop and I by Aileen Medalla, the Filipino Homeschool Teacher of Michael Jacksons KidsThe King of Pop and I by Aileen Medalla, the Filipino homeschool teacher of Prince, Paris, Blanket and her travels with the Jacksons
- 6 Ways to Sustain Your Business in the Middle of a PandemicAlthough COVID-19 is a health issue, it has affected the world’s economy. Here’s some ways to sustain your business in the midst of a pandemic.
- Gift Ideas With Little To No CostBefore you go shopping, consider these ideas to gift this pragmatic Christmas season – Guest Blog Post by Bill Asignar
- Tips on How to Host a Successful Virtual PartySmart tips on how to successfully organize and host a virtual party!
- Globe Media Excellence Awards GMEA 2020 NomineesGlobe Media Excellence Awards 2020 has just announced its list of GME 2020 nominees out of 400 entries from Vis-Min
- Eat to Live for a Fuller Life with Lalie Favia“My life revolved around food.” Mrs. Lalie Favia, coming from a family of chefs, shared.
- How to Live with Diabetes and Take ControlSad truth is, thousands are dying on what could’ve been a preventable and manageable disease.