Why the World Needs Introverts
The World Needs Introverts. Since the industrial era, society has preferred extroverts and has pushed people to become more like extroverts. As people moved from the rural farmlands and into dense urban cities, it has worked in favor of the man of action versus the man of contemplation.
Susan Cain, author of Quiet: Power of Introverts, did a TED talk on why the world needs introverts and pushed forward the idea of giving more attention to the introverts. (Ted)
Are You an Introvert?
Introversion and extroversion exist on a spectrum. It’s not binary. Introversion and extroversion aren’t set in stone.
Some traits of introverts and extroverts are the following:
|Recharge by spending time alone|
Reflect before making decisions
Prefer one-on-one interactions
Think before they speak
More expressive in writing
|Gets energy by socializing with others|
Make decisions quickly
Prefer large groups
Think out loud
More expressive in person
It is false to think that introverts are quiet, shy and socially awkward. Introversion and extroversion simply mean where they get their energy from, whether internally and externally.
Introverts have a different set of needs from extroverts. They need environments that are calm and minimally stimulating. After a night out, introverts often feel drained and need to regain energy by spending time on their own.
Schools, work and spaces are set up for extroverts to provide them with as much stimuli. However, these spaces were not exactly a good place for introverts to work and interact.
Rather than telling introverts to act like extroverts, we should tell them to be the best versions of themselves–as introverts. When given the right environment and space, introverts will thrive.
Both introverts and extroverts can take up leadership roles. There are many famous introverts around the world: Dr. Seuss, Bill Gates, Steve Wozniak and Gandhi. A research study shows that at least 40% of leaders today are introverts.
There are several reasons why introverts make great leaders. They give others a chance to speak. Introverts are great listeners. Most of all, introverts are humble. They make mindful decisions before they make the leap. This is the reason why the world needs introverts.
The world needs introverts and extroverts. The world needs a healthy combination of salesmen and builders; just as they need dreamers and doers; active and contemplative people.
Latest Blog Posts
- The King of Pop and I by Aileen Medalla, the Filipino Homeschool Teacher of Michael Jacksons KidsThe King of Pop and I by Aileen Medalla, the Filipino homeschool teacher of Prince, Paris, Blanket and her travels with the Jacksons
- 6 Ways to Sustain Your Business in the Middle of a PandemicAlthough COVID-19 is a health issue, it has affected the world’s economy. Here’s some ways to sustain your business in the midst of a pandemic.
- Gift Ideas With Little To No CostBefore you go shopping, consider these ideas to gift this pragmatic Christmas season – Guest Blog Post by Bill Asignar
- Tips on How to Host a Successful Virtual PartySmart tips on how to successfully organize and host a virtual party!
- Globe Media Excellence Awards GMEA 2020 NomineesGlobe Media Excellence Awards 2020 has just announced its list of GME 2020 nominees out of 400 entries from Vis-Min
- Eat to Live for a Fuller Life with Lalie Favia“My life revolved around food.” Mrs. Lalie Favia, coming from a family of chefs, shared.
- How to Live with Diabetes and Take ControlSad truth is, thousands are dying on what could’ve been a preventable and manageable disease.
- Cashless Negosyo Webinars for MSMEsCashless Negosyo Webinar – MSMEs are encouraged to implement cashless payments for safer, convenient, and contactless transactions.
- BPI Lifestyle – Special Promos on Nov 20 and 21On November 20 and 21, a virtual event called BPI Lifestyle: A Virtual Experience, featuring products with special offers and discounts
- How to Avoid Paying Gcash-to-Bank Convenience FeesSavvy tips on How to Avoid Paying Gcash-to-Bank Convenience Fees. Here are some hacks you can do to bypass or circumvent these fees.