Why the World Needs Introverts
The World Needs Introverts. Since the industrial era, society has preferred extroverts and has pushed people to become more like extroverts. As people moved from the rural farmlands and into dense urban cities, it has worked in favor of the man of action versus the man of contemplation.
Susan Cain, author of Quiet: Power of Introverts, did a TED talk on why the world needs introverts and pushed forward the idea of giving more attention to the introverts. (Ted)
Are You an Introvert?
Introversion and extroversion exist on a spectrum. It’s not binary. Introversion and extroversion aren’t set in stone.
Some traits of introverts and extroverts are the following:
|Recharge by spending time alone|
Reflect before making decisions
Prefer one-on-one interactions
Think before they speak
More expressive in writing
|Gets energy by socializing with others|
Make decisions quickly
Prefer large groups
Think out loud
More expressive in person
It is false to think that introverts are quiet, shy and socially awkward. Introversion and extroversion simply mean where they get their energy from, whether internally and externally.
Introverts have a different set of needs from extroverts. They need environments that are calm and minimally stimulating. After a night out, introverts often feel drained and need to regain energy by spending time on their own.
Schools, work and spaces are set up for extroverts to provide them with as much stimuli. However, these spaces were not exactly a good place for introverts to work and interact.
Rather than telling introverts to act like extroverts, we should tell them to be the best versions of themselves–as introverts. When given the right environment and space, introverts will thrive.
Both introverts and extroverts can take up leadership roles. There are many famous introverts around the world: Dr. Seuss, Bill Gates, Steve Wozniak and Gandhi. A research study shows that at least 40% of leaders today are introverts.
There are several reasons why introverts make great leaders. They give others a chance to speak. Introverts are great listeners. Most of all, introverts are humble. They make mindful decisions before they make the leap. This is the reason why the world needs introverts.
The world needs introverts and extroverts. The world needs a healthy combination of salesmen and builders; just as they need dreamers and doers; active and contemplative people.
Latest Blog Posts
- Webinar: Financial Fridays with MoneyMaxWe had a great time guesting for the finale of Financial Fridays with MoneyMax, The Company Cebu and Economerienda as Q&A guest
- CEBECO – Digital Payments for Cebuanos via BPIClients of CEBECO I (Cebu Electric Cooperative) has recently partnered with BPI (Bank of Philippine Islands) to offer a more convenient payment online by bringing payments online.
- Article Feature by The Good Men ProjectThe Syndicated Article entitled The Economics of Modern Dating at Medium. Featured in Hello, Love by The Good Men Project.
- Webinar: Investing and Earning During a CrisisJoin us on our live webinar on “Reopening Business in the New Normal” tomorrow, Thursday 6PM on Facebook Live
- Webinar: Reopening Your Business in the New NormalJoin us on our live webinar on “Reopening Business in the New Normal” tomorrow, Thursday 6PM on Facebook Live
- 8 Skills that Monetize8 skills that monetize. Learn these to make more money. From sales, to design, to storytelling, these skills are relevant and invaluable in today’s age.
- The Highest ROI Women Can Invest onWhat investment brings the highest ROI for women? Let’s look at a modern day parable from Reddit.
- Featured Published Story at Paperkat BooksI recently published a story at PaperKat Books for Coronavirus Chronicles.
- Remote Work Toolbox: How to Shift to Remote WorkRemote Work Toolbox This is a how-to guide for employees, employers and management to shift to remote work: policies, tools and etiquette,
- How to (quickly) Move Up the Career LadderMoving up the proverbial career ladder can be trying for most. Here are some tips on how you can move quickly up the career ladder.